For a video on creating new Batch Types, review the following resource: Setup: Create New Batch Type (Video)
All active batches in your DISTILL x 5 system must have a Batch Type assigned to them at all times. Batch Types allow users to manage and categorize the different attributes of a given type of liquid or spirit within the DISTILL x 5 system. These attributes include the liquid's name, how it should report on Monthly Reports of Operations, any associated Finished Products, and more. To create a new Batch Type:
- Navigate to Operations > Setup
- Click Setup Actions > Add Batch Type
- Fill out the Add Batch Type form from top to bottom using the following as a guide:
- Name - Assign a name or identifier that you wish to use to categorize the different types of liquid in your system. Best practice generally dictates using easily identifiable names, such as a name you might use on the floor of your distillery to discuss this liquid (ex. Vodka, Cherry Vodka, Heads, NGS, Unaged Rum, etc).
- Description - Use this optional field to keep any internal notes regarding a particular Batch Type.
- Abbreviation (Prefix Code) - Choose an abbreviation for your Batch Type - something that's easily identifiable. This abbreviation may be referenced in various areas throughout DISTILL x 5 (e.g., VOD for Vodka, or ChVOD for Cherry Vodka).
- Produced By Another DSP - Check this box if you are barreling spirit that was produced by another DSP. This selection ensures their DSP number is disclosed on your barrel head cards.
- Spirit Type - Select the type of spirit from the drop-down menu that aligns closest to the type of spirit you're producing. Note: this selection does not drive how the spirit will be reported on your Federal Reports.
- Reporting Category - Select how this spirit/liquid will be reported on the Monthly Report of Production Operations.
- Check the Operational Stages in which your Batch Type may be used. Note: selecting Bulk Production in U.S.-based systems will display additional options:
- Spirit 190º or More - This check box maps directly to the Production Report, Part II. Check this box only if this Batch Type's Reporting Category is Alcohol and Spirits 190º or More. Select the Kind of Material used in the spirit's production.
- Is Whiskey? - This check box maps directly to the Production Report, Part III. Check this box only if this Batch Type's Reporting Category is Whiskey (160º and Under) or Whiskey (Over 160º). Select the Kind of Whiskey and the type of Cooperage that will be used.
- Is Brandy? - This check box maps directly to the Production Report, Part IV. Check this box only if this Batch Type's Reporting Category is Brandy (170º and Under) or Brandy (Over 170º).
- Reporting Category - Select how this spirit will be reported on the Monthly Report of Storage Operations.
- Check the Operational Stages in which your Batch Type will be used. If Storage Barrels are enabled, check the boxes for Burnt Sugar Added or Oak Chips (if applicable).
- Reporting Category - Select how this spirit will be reported on the Monthly Report of Processing Operations.
- Check the Operational Stages in which your Batch Type will be used.
- If Bulk Processing is checked, users will have the option to track this batch type as Wine (if applicable). This selection is used in Processing Report, Part I, Column 1.
- If Processing Barrels are enabled in your system, the option to enable this Batch Type in Processing Barrels will be available.
- If you intend to bottle this spirit, select the Bottling stage and attach at least one Finished Product to your Batch Type. The following label claim options are also available for selection, as applicable:
- Bottled In Bond - if your bottled spirit was produced in compliance with the regulations defined in the CFR regarding Bottled In Bond label statements, select this option.
- Imported Spirit - if your bottled spirit is made from Imported Spirit and you will be making a label claim as such, select this option.
- Drawback Eligible - if your bottled spirit contains Tax Paid Alcohol (such as Bitters, for example) and you will be applying for Drawback, select this option.
- Click Save Batch Type to save.
Note: Users can edit their Batch Types at any time, however certain options may be unavailable if there is an active batch associated with the Batch Type requiring an edit. If you are unable to edit a certain Batch Type attribute, please contact the Support team for assistance.