Users who wish to track item inventories which wouldn't fall into the standard Dx5 inventory categories (Raw Materials, Supplies, etc) can create Custom Categories for tracking of these items within their systems. Items stored in Custom Categories can be added to Sales Orders for shipment, however they cannot be added to live batches as material additions or used in packaging operations. Batch Costing functionality is also unavailable for items stored in Custom Categories. The intent behind Custom Categories is purely to give users a place to store ad hoc items that don't necessarily belong to a default Dx5 category.
To create a Custom Category:
- Navigate to Inventory > Overview and select the orange "+ Add Category" button in the top right corner.
- Fill out the Category Name field and provide a Category Description, if applicable.
- Click "Add Category" to complete.
To add items to a Custom Category:
- Navigate to Inventory > Overview and select the orange "+ Add Item" button in the top right corner.
- Select your newly created Custom Category from the Category drop-down menu and complete the required fields on the rest of the form.
- Click "Save Item" to complete.
Note: As mentioned above, do not store items within Custom Categories which will need to be depleted during material additions to live batches or packaging runs. Those items need to be stored with the Raw Materials and Supplies categories, respectively, in order to be utilized within the Operations area of the system.