Before Dx5 users can receive pre-fermented liquid such as Beer, Wine or Cider for Distillation, users will need to set up a:
- Raw Material with a Fermentable Reporting Type assigned for proper Production Part VI tracking
- Batch Type (if one isn't already established)
- Bonded Product
Users will also need to enable a Vessel/Container in Dx5’s Post-Fermentation Holding Operational Stage, and ensure that the Batch Type this liquid also has the Post-Fermentation stage enabled. See below for resources to assist with process steps on all items:
1. Set Up a Raw Material with a Custom Fermentable Reporting Type assigned:
- Inventory: Add New Raw Material (Read Time: 4 mins)
- Inventory: Add/Edit Fermentable Reporting Types to Raw Materials
2. Set up Batch Type (if needed) and enable Batch Type in Post-Ferm Holding Operational Stage:
- Setup: Create a Batch Type (Read Time: 5 mins)
- This article's example is on a full Grain-to-Bottle Batch Type build; users building Batch Types for Post-Ferm liquid may not enable all Stages/attributes in their builds. See this resource for guidance on creating Batch Types for Post-Ferm processes: Best Practices: Building Post-Ferm Holding Batch Types (Video + Resources).
- To Edit an existing Batch Type, navigate to Operations > Setup > Batch Types and click the blue arrows to the right of the Batch Type in need and click Edit:
- Click the box next to Production if not already selected, then click the box to enable in Post-Ferm Holding and Distillation. Beer Wash/Cider/Wine used for Distillation can be stored in Post-Ferm Holding in Dx5 for an indiscriminate amount of time therefore additional Operational Stages may not be required; enable further Stages based on individual processes.
3. Set Up the Bonded Product
Note: If the Post-Ferm liquid's Supplier is not yet set up in your Dx5 system, this must be done first. See this video resource for a how-to on setting up Dx5 Suppliers: Contacts: Add New Supplier (Video)
Note: Alcohol Content may be approximated while building a new Bonded Product. Dx5's Receive Spirit form will allow for Alcohol Content edits on each individual receipt entered.
4. Create/Enable a Vessel/Container in Post-Ferm Holding:
- If the required Vessel/Container for the liquid has not yet been created in the system, navigate to Operations > Setup. Click Setup Actions in the top right corner, then +Add Vessel/Container. A short video on this process can be viewed here: Setup: Add New Vessel (Video)
- To enable an existing Vessel/Container in Post-Ferm Holding, see guidance in this article: Operations: Add a Vessel Stage (Read Time: 1 min).
Once the Fermented Material is established in your Dx5 system, Receive it and track the Fermentable Material Type applied via the process steps below:
1. Receive the Fermented Material and Create a Batch
- Navigate to Operations > Overview and click the Receive Spirit button in the top right of the page:
- On the Receive Spirit form, choose the Product Received from the drop-down menu, adjust the Received Proof/ABV on the current receipt accordingly, and select the appropriate Batch Type to identify the liquid once received.
- Choose the Post-Ferm Holding Stage and select a Destination Vessel enabled in the Post-Ferm Holding stage.
- Enter the Volume received into the Received Quantity field, and upload any accompanying BOL documents associated with the physical transaction if desired (.png, .pdf or .jpeg file types accepted).
- A video of this receipt process can be viewed here: Operations: Receive Spirit In-Bond (Video).
2. Record the use of the Raw Material for Production Part VI tracking
- From the Batch Details page of the liquid received into Post-Ferm Holding, navigate to Batch Actions > Add Materials.
- Select the Add Single Material option, then choose the appropriate Raw Material from the drop-down menu.
- Enter the Quantity (in Gallons/Liters) received, and click Add Raw Material to complete.
- Production Part VI will capture this application in the appropriate Column/Row to identify the usage. Liquid can now be moved into Distillation via Batch Actions > Transfer.
Please sign in to leave a comment.