Note: DISTILL x 5 requires that all batches start in the Mash/Cook stage and that a material addition also occur in Mash/Cook for proper tracking in Part VI (Materials Used) of the Federal Monthly Report of Production Operations. If you have a spirit production process that does not actually begin in Mash/Cook, but rather starts directly in Fermentation (example: Rum), use the following steps to ensure Mash/Cook stage requirements are met in Dx5 before switching the vessel stage to Fermentation.
Before starting a batch:
- Make sure the fermenter to be used is enabled in the Mash/Cook stage. To check available stages or enable an additional stage, follow the steps in this article.
- Make sure the starting Batch Type is enabled in Mash/Cook as well as Fermentation. To check available stages or enable an additional stage, follow the steps in this article.
- Create a Recipe which includes the raw materials or ingredients that will need to be added to your batch volume. This should include, at a minimum, any Fermentable Materials which should be reported in Part VI of the Federal Monthly Report of Production Operations.
To start the batch and apply materials in Mash/Cook:
- Navigate to Operations > Overview and click the orange "+ New Mash/Cook" button in the top-right corner.
- Complete the required fields, and select the previously created Recipe to be applied from the available drop-down menu on the New Mash/Cook form.
- To view a video resource on the above, click here.
To Complete the Mash/Cook stage:
- From the Batch Details page, navigate to Batch Actions > Complete and enter the required details. Users will be required to enter an initial Gravity reading along with any other Custom Metrics your system is set to require in the Mash/Cook stage.
- Click Complete Batch to save the previous entries.
- Note: Do not select the "Transfer when Complete" option above the Complete Batch button on this form. The next step in this process will detail how to get your volume into the Fermentation stage without initiating a transfer to a new vessel.
- The batch volume will remain in your source vessel, but will display as Complete (flame animation will disappear) in Mash/Cook.
To Stage Switch to Fermentation:
- From the completed Mash/Cook's Batch Details page, navigate to Batch Actions > Stage.
- Enter a Switch Date/Time, and select "Fermentation" as the Destination Stage.
- Select the Batch Type this volume should be categorized under in Fermentation.
- Click Switch Stage.
The volume should appear in the Fermentation stage, within the same source vessel. If animations are on in your system, the active Fermentation will be represented by bubbles around the vessel (see screenshot below).